Medical Excellence Capital Announces Final Close of $145 Million for its First Venture Capital Fund
New The fund targets disruptive innovations in life science biotechnologies; relies on an experienced investment team and an extensive exclusive scientific and academic network
NISSEQUOGUE, NY, August 23, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Capital of medical excellenceLLC (“MEC”), a life sciences venture capital startup created to invest in disruptive technologies in precision health, today announced a $145 million final closing of Medical Excellence Capital Partners, LP. MEC was created to leverage the combination of a proven investment team and a unique network of physician-researchers to focus on business creation and venture capital investment. Targeted investment areas include cell therapy, gene therapy, AI/ML applied to drug discovery, synthetic biology and regenerative medicine.
Founded by Jean Prufeta, Founder and General Partner, Medical Excellence Capital is closely aligned and networked with Medical Excellence Group (MedEx), an extensive global network of private medical health advisory and family office healthcare platform, built and refined over the past 15 years by Mr. Prufeta. This platform includes a network of more than 1,200 leading physicians and scientists at 33 major academic medical centers and research institutes in the United States. The Medical Excellence Capital team operates in important healthcare innovation markets New York, Californiaand Pennsylvania.
Due to its alignment with MedEx, MEC’s investment team has exclusive access to a carefully selected national and international medical research network and a world-class scientific advisory board. Through regular selection of this trusted medical network and scientific advice, MEC is able to manage a unique deal flow of emerging and breakthrough technologies. These technologies are in turn carefully checked by selected experts in the network. Additionally, the network has been activated to help accelerate the development of portfolio companies and maximize value creation.
Acclaimed innovators themselves in the fields of regenerative medicine, gene therapy, and mitochondrial medicine, MEC’s Scientific Advisory Board brings critical perspective to the evaluation of new opportunities and delivers added value to portfolio companies. MEC’s Scientific Advisory Board is made up of:
- Euan AshleyMD, Ph.D., Stanford Medical School – Associate Dean and Professor of Genetics and Precision Health, Cardiovascular and Data Science
- Gregg Semenza, MD, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Medicine – Winner of the 2019 Nobel Prize in Medicine; Professor of Genetic Medicine
- Steven Tsang, MD, Ph.D., Columbia Medicine – Professor of Ophthalmology, Pathology and Cell Biology; Director of the Columbia Stem Cell Institute
- Douglas WallacePh.D., Children’s Hospital of philadelphia cream (CHOP) & University of Pennsylvania – Director of the Center for Mitochondrial and Epigenomic Medicine
Jean Prufeta said, “Through the warm relationships within the medical research community cultivated as CEO of MedEx, I became aware of many underserved, yet exciting opportunities to catalyze innovation in healthcare. At the launch of MEC, we were thrilled to add to the MEC investment team three investment professionals with decades of experience from their tenures at Domain Associates.”
Brian HalakPh.D., Managing Partner of MEC, said, “The MEC team came together as a result of our commitment to a common mission and values. companies that will have a significant impact on the lives of patients and their families. »
Eric HeilMBA, Managing Partner of MEC, said, “We are seeing exciting discoveries and technologies in many areas of healthcare. We believe that with this exclusive medical network, MEC is well positioned to accelerate the development of these discoveries in areas of critical unmet need where patients and physicians can realize meaningful improvements in patient outcomes.”
Kim KamdarPh.D., Managing Partner of MEC, added, “We focus our energies on developing successful partnerships with creative scientists who we believe have the best ideas. , Series A and Series B stadiums.”
Over the past year, the initial close has provided funds to guide MEC’s investment strategy, as evidenced by the following seven investments1:
- Aspen Neuroscience develops induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) to treat diseases of high unmet medical need, starting with autologous neural replacement for sporadic and genetic forms of Parkinson’s disease (PD) and spreading across the brain and affected organs. In the most recent Series B funding, MEC joined GV, LYFE Capital, Revelation Partners, Newton Investment Management, SingaporeEDBI, LifeForce Capital, Mirae Asset Capital, NS Investment and others.
- Immunitas Therapeutics is a precision immunotherapy company developing antibodies for oncology directed to novel targets discovered through a proprietary single cell analysis platform. In the Series B funding, MEC joined Agent Capital, 120 Capital, Solasta Ventures, Mirae Asset, Ono Venture Investment, The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research, NS Investment, BrightEdge (American Cancer Society), The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Therapy Acceleration Program® (LLS TAP), Alexandria Venture Investments, Evotec, Leaps by Bayer, M Ventures, Novartis Venture Fund (NVF) and Longwood Fund.
- Therapeutic Nobias is a CHOP spin-out using AI and access to unique clinical datasets that enable the discovery and development of new drugs.
- Pleno is a disruptive multi-omics platform that enables multiplex testing in high-throughput areas and applications.
- ProJenX is a clinical-stage biotechnology company, co-founded by MEC, developing novel brain-penetrating targeted therapies to treat debilitating brain diseases, with an initial focus on ALS.
- Rejuvitas is a gene therapy company, co-founded by MEC, that provides novel gene therapies using metabolic reprogramming and regenerative medicine technologies developed in the laboratory of a renowned geneticist, Stephen TsangMD, Ph.D.
- SonoTheraformerly SonoGene Therapeutics, is developing a non-viral approach to gene therapy enabling larger payloads, tissue-specific targeting and repeat doses.
About Medical Excellence Capital
Medical Excellence Capital provides business formation, seed and seed capital to innovators in the fields of cell therapy, gene therapy, AI/ML applied to drug discovery, immunology /drug resistance and regenerative medicine. MEC only invests in high-potential companies where its expertise, knowledge and global network can drive acceleration and maximized value creation.
For more information, visit www.medexcelcap.com or email Eric Heil at [email protected]
1 The contents herein contain a description of the investments made by MEC. References to any investment included herein should not be construed as a recommendation of any particular investment or security. It should not be assumed that investments made in the future will be comparable in quality or performance to the investments described here.
SOURCE Medical Excellence Capital